Recipe type: Soup, Appetiser
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 40 mins
I love how simple this soup is to make! It's warm and sweet with earthy flavors, and the cayenne pepper gives it a nice kick. The beet flavor definitely takes center stage...so, If you like beets...you'll love this soup! You can save time by roasting the beets ahead of time...they keep well in the fridge for quite a few days.
- 3-4 medium sized beets
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup roughly chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (depending on how much heat you want)
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Trim, clean, and quarter the beets. Rub them with a very small amount of olive oil (just enough to lightly coat them), then place them on a foil lined baking sheet and roast them at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (roasting time will depend on the size of your beets) or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Place all remaining ingredients (except salt & pepper) in a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender and translucent..
- Place the beets in a blender and puree until smooth slowly adding the cooked broth mixture.
- Add sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Recipe by HealthyMammas at http://healthymammas.com/2012/04/15/roasted-beet-soup-my-new-favorite-green-smoothie/