I have been dying to post this recipe for a quinoa dish my brother’s girlfriend, Misa, made for us while on Spring Break (we made it twice that week and I’ve made it several times since!) It’s so easy, flavorful and delicious and is the perfect side dish ! I packed some to have for lunch one day while skiing … I love quinoa not only because it’s so versatile but it’s packed with protein, calcium, fiber…it’s a perfect low-cholesterol source of carbs.
|Spinach & Mushroom Quinoa|
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 chicken broth granule cube
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 ounces sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup feta
- Optional : 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Saute the mushrooms in a little olive oil, add the spinach until wilted. Add chicken broth granule* and Italian seasoning. Meanwhile, cook your quinoa by adding it to boiling water, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the sauteed veggies and seasonings to your cooked quinoa. Top with feta and toasted almonds.
I’ve also tried this recipe by boiling the quinoa in chicken or veggie broth instead of using the granules…turned out great too !
This recipe I found on the Weight Watchers website (through Pinterest!) These are soooo yummy I could eat the whole batch by myself !
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Spray your cauliflower with olive oil and toss with the remaining seasonings. Bake @ 400 for 10 minutes, turning halfway through. YUMMMM
OK so I wanted to see if any of you have tried these “Kale Krunch” chips by Kaia foods (I’ve seen them at Whole Foods). My friend sent me some to try as she knows I love kale in every way, shape and form They are so great ! I was a little skeptical of how the “ChocKaleT” chip kale chips would taste but they were good ! My favorite was the Cheesy Chipotle flavor…loved the spice combo !!! I also tried the Tarragon Dijon and Southwest Ranch…they were all so yummy and I will definitely be buying more of these…especially since I haven’t planted any kale in my Spring garden which means no more fresh kale 24/7 !
Here’s our “after the race” photo ! (Me on the left, Kim on the right!)
Hope everyone has a happy & healthy day