In honor of New Years Eve coming up … wanted to share this cute cocktail idea … I made it for our Christmas Eve party and plan to make it for New Years Eve again … OK maybe not so HEALTHY but hey it’s the holidays
To make the ice block around a vodka bottle, just cut the top off a square milk or OJ carton. Put your vodka bottle inside and stick cranberries in between the carton and vodka bottle. Fill with water to desired level. Put in freezer and once it’s frozen, you can just peel the carton off. Makes for a cute presentation and keeps your vodka chilled too
To make the martini : Mix 1 part vanilla vodka, 1 part pomegranate liquer, 1-2 parts cranberry juice (depending on how strong you like it).
Pour into a martini glass rimmed with red sugar and garnish with a few cranberries
And onto something more healthy…and I’m sad to say I forgot to take a picture but it turned out SOOOOO good ! I served this with our Christmas dinner…I will definitely be making this again soon…I could eat it as a meal with a salad on the side
Broccoli Rice Casserole
I found it on www.salad-in-a-jar.com … and modified it a little.
2 large heads broccoli florets, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, minced
1 T flour
12-ounce can 2% evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked brown rice
Steam broccoli until tender but still bright green. Squeeze lemon over broccoli.
Melt butter and olive oil in skillet. Add onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms and saute until softened. Stir in flour and cook about one minute. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until slightly thickened. Season with S&P. Add 1.5 cups cheese and stir to melt.
- Steam or microwave (about 3 minutes on HIGH) chopped broccoli and stems until tender but still bright green. Squeeze lemon over broccoli.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms and saute until softened. Stir in flour and cook about one minute to take away the raw flour taste. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 1/2 cup cheese and stir to melt.
- Combine broccoli, rice and cheese sauce and pour into a greased casserole dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly…about 20 minutes.
Last but not least I am working on some playlists for New Years Eve…starting out with the below songs … let me know what your current favorites are !!!
- Avicii- Levels
- 5 o’clock – T-Pain feat Lily Allen
- I Like How it Feels – Enrique Iglesias feat Pitbull
- They Don’t Want Music – Black Eyed Peas
- Without You – David Guetta feat Usher
- E.T. – Katy Perry feat Kanye West
- Marry the Night – Lady GaGa
- Valerie – Amy Winehouse
- I Like it – Enrique Iglesias feat Pitbull
- Raise your Glass – Pink (Kimmy this is in your honor LOL)
- Pause – Pitbull
- Can’t Believe It – T-Pain feat Lil Wayne
- Swell Window – Zee Avi
- Imma Star – Jeremih
- We Found Love – Rihanna
- That’s Not My Name – The Ting Tings
Hope everyone has a Safe & Happy New Year’s !!!! – Jenn