It’s a cold rainy Sunday in Texas ! I love it, but it makes me want to be very unproductive. I just want to stay in my PJs all day and be lazy However I’m fighting the urge as there are only 21 days left til Christmas !!! Working on photo calendars of the kids for family gifts…need to get out shop for angel gifts (which I’ve known about for 2 weeks and is due tomorrow !), baking banana bread all while recovering from a wedding and a party this weekend…the holiday craziness is definitely in full force !
So Friday night the kids had a sleepover, and when I went to pick them up, my friend Louise had the most AMAZING smell in her home. Come to find out they were baking chocolate chip banana bread for teacher gifts. This is the easiest recipe too…I came home and found I had all the ingredients to make it so I whipped a couple loaves up myself. Actually, I was out of eggs so I used chia eggs…came out fantastic !
I may do this for teacher gifts too. Wrap it up in some colored cellophane and voila.
Anywho, here’s the recipe…she got it off Rachael Ray’s website (LOVE her!). I doubled it so it’d make 2 loaves so I could freeze one.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I used half whole wheat, half all-purpose)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 8.5″ x 4.5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix in the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix in the oil, bananas and eggs. Stir in the chocolate chips (do not overmix!) and pour into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Cool the loaf in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely, right side up.
And here is a recipe I like to take to holiday parties…it’s really yummy and healthy too ! And I LOVE pumpernickel bread but if you don’t, you could always serve it on crackers.
Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 4 ounces low fat (or fat free) cream cheese
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 T capers
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread (cut into bite sized pieces)
Mix softened cream cheese with lemon juice and capers. Spread on smoked salmon and roll up. Put in freezer for about 30 minutes (it’s easier to cut that way). Cut into small slices and place on top of a square of pumpernickel bread. Yum ! You could garnish with fresh dill if you want to be fancy
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend !!