Happy Almost-Halloween everyone!!!! I’m loving this cooler weather, and it makes me want to be in the kitchen non-stop!
This week I made Melissa’s Ladybug bars (AGAIN-my kids can’t get enough!), Kimmy’s 15 bean soup (AGAIN!) and 3 different versions of kale salad (I’m addicted!)! Below is a recipe my sister-in-law told me about that I’ve been wanting to make for weeks. It is so yummy…the kids loved it, and even Todd scarfed it down! I’m thinking it might be another addition to our Thanksgiving repertoire!
Butternut Squash Gratin
(186 calories per serving, 6.4 grams fat per Cooking Light’s website)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut in cubes (For an easier version, try using 2.5-3 cups of frozen, cubed, organic butternut squash – they have it at Whole Foods)
- 1 slice flax seed bread, crumbled and mixed with a little olive oil (I just used whole wheat bread and sprinkled some flax meal on top…will try to use the flax bread next time!)
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- 1 T dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (I used goat cheese, and of course, the cheese is optional!)
- Steam squash for 10 minutes. Mix spices and walnuts in a bowl with steamed squash. Put into a casserole dish and cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Top with cheese and bread mixture and cook another 10 minutes…DONE ! This is SO heavenly…I am having it for lunch tomorrow !!! My sister in law has made this a few times and they love it with blue cheese (I’m not a fan so I substituted goat which is also delicious).
Have a Happy and Healthy Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!