The Ugly Truth – Day 5 of Engine 2!

Hi Healthy friends! Today is Day 5 of my Engine 2 Diet so I thought I would let you know how it’s going!  :)  I started my Diet on Friday, but went to get my blood work done last Wednesday. I finally got the results yesterday. They are ugly! If you read the Engine 2 Diet, you’ll learn that the “magic” cholesterol numbers are 150 (total count) and 80 (LDL).  150 and below is where they recommend you try to stay for the overall cholesterol count to maintain optimal health.  Seeing that 200 is considered high cholesterol and seeing that mine is at 180, is just ugly to me.  I need to get to 150!   The other number is important – LDL.  It actually stands for Low-Density Lipoprotein but who can remember that? :-)

Think of LDL as your lethal number and HDL as your healthy number.  I’m still not convinced that ANY cholesterol could be good for you, but I’ll look more into  that one.  My results for LDL were 92, and again, according to the Engine 2 Diet, you should aim for a number below 80.  The good news is that I have some work to do!  I’m thrilled to have these benchmark numbers, and I can’t wait to see the “proof” of eating a Vegan diet by comparing my numbers on Day 28!! Here is all of my information below (for the sake of accountability!) – it was $50 to get the cholesterol panel at AnyLabsNow – and well worth it!

Since I’ve been so incredibly busy the last week or so and I’m TIRED and feeling a little GRUMPY, I’ll try to keep this short by giving you the best and worst of my experience so far!

Best:

*Greenling Engine 2 Box!  Omg, best thing I have done!  Love it!  They pre-chop everything and measure it – making it sooo easy!  And the sweet potato lasagna is just to die for!  It would have been even better if I didn’t drop 1/2 of it in the bottom of my oven.  I managed to save most of it, but that was not fun!

*Engine 2 Hummus – awesome!  Love it – just might make it a couple of times a week for the rest of my life!  :)

• 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2–3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos
  • 3 tablespoons water or vegetable broth
  • Optional – I added a handful of spinach
  • Directions – Blend!  :)

Worst:

*Cheater, cheater, salmon eater.  :-(  I ate salmon on Saturday night!  Ugh…. I’ve felt so terrible ever since (not physically) but here’s my excuse.  It was my anniversary dinner!  And I promise, there was nothing on the menu that was anything close to vegan!  I thought about just not exactly saying so on my blog – but then I would be kind of lying and well, I just want to be honest with my successes AND my failures here.  I would like to report that the salmon was line caught…and EXCELLENT!  I was in heaven!  And, I ate it slowly, knowing that I would not be cheating again.  (Please tell me Thanksgiving is after my 28 days is up!)  :-)

What would you have eaten if you were having your anniversary dinner on the lake at Soleil  … fresh caught salmon (PS:  5 Stars – OMG!) with risotto and asparagus was the special – AND the owner was buying?  I do think I’ll come out of this challenge a cheater and not a hard-core vegan.  I still want to be able to “cheat” on special occasions!  What are YOUR thoughts about that??!

*Engine 2 Kale/Walnut butter – FAIL.  I’m sure it’s really good for a normal person who is not allergic to walnuts.  Again, WHAT was I thinking??  Note to self – I AM ALLERGIC TO WALNUTS!  They give me an insta-headache, they tear up my mouth, and … oh ya, I confirmed all of this 2 years ago when I went through the Love Cleanse and again when I was tested by an allergist.  There it was in big bold writing:  Allergy to Black Walnuts.  Someone remind me not to eat walnuts again, please!  :-)  What a waste of my kale!  :-(

Here is a picture of the winner (hummus) and the offender (Kale/Walnut butter).  It was just my day to play with green recipes, I guess! :-)

Yum...and bum...

I sigh as I sign off.  It’s been a super busy work week and it’s only Tuesday!  I’m tired, pretty stressed, and the truth is I’d like to order a pizza from Austin’s Pizza right about now!  But, on the menu, from my box, awaits Rainbow couscous or something like that.  So far, I’ve been REALLY impressed with the Greenling Engine 2 Dinners, so I’m sure I”ll have a smile on my face once I am at my table eating it all!  :-)

I promise to be in better spirits next time I post!  And, I have a lot of fun stuff to giveaway, so watch for that!

Happy journey, everyone, whatever journey that may be…..

~Kim

You might also be interested in:

About Kim

I am the mother of two wonderful kiddos, Allen and Zane - and happily married to Lance (HealthyDaddy). :) I love learning about healthy eating and my journey led me to finding a way to keep all of this truly exciting information in one place. I found that I was forgetting recipes that I loved a year ago - or misplacing them. This website is a way to keep it together, while sharing with the world (Or the 5 people who will read this!) what I have learned. I'm trying to change the world...or at least our eating habits...one meal at a time. :)

Comments

1. SherriFL says:

Kim,
    Did you do your bloodwork fasting? I noticed your collection time of 10:40. You WILL see a difference when you have it redone. I am a poster child for a Vegan lifestyle. I have a terrible family history and my numbers were out the roof! I was able to totally reverse my health! I was not able to do that on a low fast diet. I am a confirmed die hard and would never consider ‘cheating’. LOL I simply have NO desire to eat any of the foods I once ate, so I am not missing anything or feel deprived.
    Blessings to you!~
    Sherri

• Kim says:

HI Sherri – I was definitely fasting!! I headed straight to Starbucks after getting the test done! (Knowing I only had 2 more days before I started!) Thank you for the encouraging words…I need them! ~Kim

• SherriFL says:

Oh Kim, I pray my post didn’t come across wrong about ‘not cheating’. I was being silly about you saying ‘cheating’. I know it is so hard to make this change for most people. I I don’t consider cheating simply because I don’t want it. I have been incredibly blessed by that. Especially because I HAD to make a major life change to get my health in order. Does that make sense? Anyway, hang in there! You will be amazed. Even my doctors are amazed!
        Be encouraged and know it is ok to have a bad day.
        Blessings
        Sherri
        PS you crack me up over the Starbuck’s run.

2. Katie Stewart says:

I’ve been on this journey for a month and a half. I have cheated once, coconut shrimp. We were staying at a Margaritaville Beach hotel and I thought WTH. Guess what.. .it was gross and so not worth. I couldn’t get past the mental thing I have cursed myself with when it comes to eating animals now. Even fish. I don’t feel you “cheated”. Your not taking a test. You are human and you are trying to eat better. One meal is better than none…. I would never give anyone a hard time about their diet choices. But…since your numbers are out of norm range maybe replacing a couple meals with veggies vs meat will help. Can’t wait to see follow up lab. Don’t give yourself a hard time. The hardest part of this journey is unlearning what we have been told all of our lives. It is not easy trust me! You are doig great! Keep up good work. Since you are a fish lover, you have got to check out happy herbivore’s mock tuna salad! To die for! I leave kelp out. Try it!

3. Maura says:

Great and honest post! My husband and I went hardcore E2 about 3 years ago in order to get him off bloodpressure and cholesterol meds. As the “chef” of the house it became my mission to do whatever I could to see that his goals were met! It was a real challenge at first but about a week in I fell in love! My husband was off meds and dropped 25lbs. in no time. We kept it up for 2 years and slowly started to add fish and some dairy back in. The E2 recipes are fine but I found this website and it saved me! http://www.fatfreevegan.com Check it out! And best of luck to you. I know it’s not easy but hang in there. Love your blog!

4. Aitch says:

Gee this sounds a fabulous diet, wouldn’t tak me too long to get into it except for one thing – I checked the branded foods list and never heard of any of them – I’m in the UK and eat a strict vegetarian diet anyway. I really could do with losing lots of weight (eat too many chocolates and bad things :( and due to helath problems find it REALLY difficult to exercise much at all. Bought a Wii Fit now so hopefully can do small amounts eat day and build up when I’m a bit better

• Kim says:

There are two movies I would recommend for you – first, Forks Over Knives – it is truly life-changing! Another one I really enjoyed (and one that might inspire you) is Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. If you stick to the “outside” aisles, you’ll rarely need anything that is packaged. Just try to stick to a non-meat AND non-dairy diet, and I believe you will be doing better than the population majority!

5. Molly Mentzel says:

Hi Kim, good for you for working so hard and even getting your blood work done beforehand! I’m not doing the Engine 2, but I did go vegan over labor day weekend after watching FOK and I’m still doing it. I guess it’s been 7 weeks now! I don’t consider myself true vegan since I don’t really read labels for hidden animal proteins, but I really am staying away from all meats, dairy, meat broths and such. I don’t mind having a cookie made with eggs on rare occasion. I did, however, have my first pizza this past weekend and guess what….it was on my anniversary!!! LOL October 22 was our 16th. We actually did eat at a restaurant, but then we stayed up so late here at home that we ordered a pizza at almost midnight, lol. The kids were spending the night out and we went wild ;o) It was a veggie pizza, so it was just the cheese. I will say that my digestive system really paid for it the next day. I actually do plan on allowing myself to have that occasional cookie made with eggs or the occasional veg pizza, I just want to get through 3 months first! I’ve always had high cholesterol due to genetics. I’m 5’3″ and 114lbs…many people don’t realize it can just be genetic. I lowered my cholesterol from 213 to 158 total, and that was before going vegan. Now I’m hoping to get my 96 LDL lower and my 49 HDL higher, it’s sort of an experiment I’m doing. I’m going to recheck after 3 months of this diet.

So, good luck to you and your quest!

• Kim says:

That’s funny, Molly! 24th was our 6th yr anniversary – we just celebrated on Saturday! I totally know what you mean about paying for it the next day. I’m that way anytime I have cheese. I think that dairy will be the easiest thing for me to NOT go back to! (except for the rare cookie, duh…) :)

6. Sunny Beeker says:

Keep it real. That’s why we read and support and believe! Hoping to figure out my path soon. :)

7. Melissa says:

You’re doing GREAT Kimmy…I’m so proud of you! I had no idea your numbers were like that! It makes me happy that you’re doing this…we must stay as healthy as possible…we have MANY more years of BFF happiness ahead of us!! :) xoxox!

8. Leanne says:

Hi Kim! I’m working my way towards a more vegan lifestyle also, but I cheat a little too — it’s really hard to do away with dairy and eggs in our home, especially when it comes to baking for me! I think it’s all about the big picture, and doing all you can do to become as healthy as you can become. I’m excited to see where your numbers end up at the end of your 28 day challenge. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

9. Julie says:

My husband and I have started to limit our animal product intake. The Engine 2 Diet and the Forks Over Knives books should be arriving tomorrow and I can’t wait. I love reading your posts because it keeps me motivated to stay on the right path. My father visited this weekend and I learned that he is on 7 pills and 2 insulin shots daily. What a wake up call!!! I might get him Fork Over Knives as a gift! Thanks for your posts!

10. Dana says:

Hi Kim,
    I don’t think that after only 28 days, you’ll turn into a “hardcore” vegan as it takes much longer for your taste buds to change.

My husband did a 30 day vegan challenge a few years ago and his triglycerides dropped 100 points (194 to 93), his cholesterol went from 168 to 134 and his LDL’s went from 135 to 85. All with ZERO exercise! From that point on he was a believer and now follows more of a “cheater” diet where about 90% of his diet is vegan.

Good luck with the rest of your 28 days and looking forward to seeing your blood results!

11. Christy says:

Great job, Kim! Keep up the good work and just do the best you can. You’re already doing tons better than the majority of Americans who live on the SAD diet. Now I can’t wait to try the lasagna. Looking forward to your next update.

12. Hi I’m just starting this again I guess I should clean out my freezer to get rid of my chicken and turkey I thought those were good what about fish is it okay I juice. Everyday twice I eat pretty healthy except for Mexican would like some breakfast ideas