I’ve also been busy in the kitchen over the last week…I got some pumpkins from my local veggie co-op so I put them to good use!
First, I made a whole pumpkin casserole…so good that I may serve it for Turkey Day next month My kids weren’t crazy about it but once I topped theirs with a few mini marshmallows they scarfed it down. I prefer it without the marshmallows…and I had it for lunch the next day with a veggie burger…mmm!
|Whole Pumpkin Casserole||
- 1 whole medium pumpkin
- 1 c. raisins
- 1 c. apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 c. pecans, chopped
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 c. sugar (I used Sucanat)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Remove and save “top lid” of pumpkin. Clean out inside, wash pumpkin and place in baking dish. Mix the other ingredients (except for sour cream) and bake with lid on at 350 for 1.5 hours. Just FYI I like the presentation of serving from the pumpkin, but it’s a little hard to get it all mixed (pumpkin and filling) without pumpkin shell collapsing !
The next pumpkin recipe I tried was one I found on Oh She Glows. This is a great website if you are vegan…and even if you’re not
Pumpkin Pie Dip (Angela calls this chia pudding parfait but I like to serve it as a dip with crackers or ginger snaps)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, chilled if possible (I used fresh pumpkin)
- 2 T chia seeds
- 2 T vanilla protein powder, optional (I used my favorite Sun Warrior brown rice protein powder)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 T maple syrup
Whisk all ingredients together and chill overnight (or at least 2 hours).
YUMMMM and so good for you !!!!
I had a little leftover pumpkin so this morning I made Pumpkin French Toast…the kids LOVED it!
Pumpkin French Toast
- 4 large eggs (has anyone tried using chia eggs in french toast??May try that next time!)
- 2 T canned or fresh pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tsp earth balance (or other heart healthy butter)
- In a shallow bowl, mix eggs, pumpkin, and cinnamon. Add bread slices and soak them for about a minute, turning.
- Melt the earth balance and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
I sprinkled this with a tiny bit of powdered sugar…amazing how more eager they are to try something if there’s a tiny bit of powdered sugar on top
And of course I saved the best for last…our next GIVEAWAY!!!! This week we are giving away a bottle of Apple Smartini cocktail mixer. These are sugar free cocktail mixers that are naturally sweetened with Stevia…low-cal, low-carb, and gluten free ! They are now being served in fine restaurants and bars, and are available for purchase at many select boutiques, grocery stores, wine and liquor stores. You can also order online at www.lolaslibations.com. They come in many different flavors including margarita, mojito, lemon drop, apple and pomegranate just to name a few ! What I love about this is (besides being only 5 calories for 4 ounces!) is that you can make it as light (or even non-alcoholic) or as strong as you want…I like to use a little more alcohol when I’m making a frozen drink (ice dilutes it….makes a mean margarita in the Vitamix!!!) and a little less if I’m making martinis. So easy…anyway, would love to hear if you’d tried this before and what your favorite flavor is
Along with this giveaway, one lucky winner will also get :
*Vega samples … read HERE about why we love Vega!
*Coupons for some of our favorite products
*A FREE HEALTHY MAMMAS T-SHIRT (Small, Medium or Large)!!
All you have to do is COMMENT on this post and you are automatically entered!!! This particular giveaway is limited to shipping in the United States. Good luck everyone and have a happy healthy day!!!!!