And then this…
Oh, and also this…
Things have been crazy…to say the least! Obviously I haven’t done a lot of HealthyMamma cooking because I’ve had my hands full with cakes and two small kiddos. And, I definitely did not want to be in the kitchen anymore than absolutely necessary. We needed a healthy meal last night that would require very little time and energy from either me or my sweet hubby who had the challenging task of keeping both Mia and Luke entertained while I worked. So I’m standing in the kitchen covered in buttercream and in need of either caffeine to give me a boost or a glass of wine to calm my nerves (I couldn’t quite figure out which I needed more) and then it dawned on me…I could throw together my Easy Breezy Veggie Stew!
I can’t even remember when I first started making this stew…I’ve made it for so many years. I love it because it’s hearty and healthy, and most importantly, it’s super easy to prepare. I never get tired of it…probably because it’s always a little different each time I make it. I typically use whatever veggies we have on hand…sometimes I add a little barley the last 30 minutes of cooking…sometimes I add greens…it’s always different and always yummy!
I added collard greens this time because we had them on hand and because I love them. The collards were actually my favorite part about this batch. Unfortunately not everyone in the family shares my love of collard greens…I got the stink eye from Miss Mia when she sat down and saw them in her stew. My sweet girl has a black belt in stink eye. We’re not quite sure where she got this skill…neither Ty nor I will claim handing it down to her. Maybe she got it from one of those feisty kids that she hangs out with at school…ya, that must be it.
I served this with warm crusty bread because we had some left over from a previous dinner…it was fast and easy. But, I typically serve it with my Vegan Corn Muffins. We like to use our canned homegrown tomatoes in this recipe…but, store bought canned tomatoes work great too…just try to find quality organic ones.
This meal is so simple…all you have to do is roughly chop your veggies, add them to your broth and tomatoes, cover, and let your stove top do the rest! The only thing I had to do was give it a stir once and a while during cake breaks. Easy as pie…or, should I say…it was a piece of cake to make.
Health and Hugs ~ Melissa
|Easy Breezy Veggie Stew|
- 4 cups low sodium organic veggie broth
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes (un-drained)
- 1 (15oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 medium potatoes – roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion – roughly chopped
- 2-3 carrots – roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery – roughly chopped
- 2 zucchini squash – roughly chopped
- Fresh mushrooms – roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large collard leaves with tough stems removed – roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) corn
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- Additional water or veggie broth (as needed)
- optional – 1/4 cup barley
- Combine all ingredients (except barley if using) in a large stock pot.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover.
- Simmer covered for 45 to 60 minutes or until veggies are tender (adding water or broth if needed to reach desired consistency)
- Once veggies are tender, add additional sea salt and pepper to taste.
- **If using barley – add during last 30 min of cook time.