It’s been a busy couple of weeks for me, but the thing that stands out the most is the really hot weather! Yesterday broke an overall high record in Austin with the temperature at 112 degrees! I read on Facebook that some people were attending the Annual Austin Hot Sauce Festival…in 112 degree heat?? Wow! These people are brave! You wouldn’t go to any festival and expect to see me there, unless temperatures were in the low 90′s or below. This mamma melts in the heat and especially around large crowds of people! But, I’m thrilled to report that the weather forecast shows rain from Thursday – Sunday. Who would get excited about the chance of a rainy Labor Day weekend? Me!! And probably most other people who live in Austin!
So, thanks for the Rain Dance, whoever did it! :) Please don’t pass us by, rain!
Other notable events over the last couple of weeks:
- First day of Kindergarten for my Zane and first day of 8th Grade for my Allen! I couldn’t get them in a pic together this year because Allen was still sleeping when I took Zane to school! Oh, they are growing up so fast!
- My new treadmill! I’m in love with my new treadmill! After doing a lot of research and going to about 10 stores, I finally decided on the Pro-Form 605 CS. I got a great deal on it because it was not only last year’s model, but we found a floor model. There had not even been a mile logged on it, so we were thrilled. The bonus was that it was assembled!! I usually love to run outside – but thanks to my aging joints/back (did I really just say that?), and the horrible, hot weather this summer, I convinced myself that I needed one. I am so glad I got it – no more excuses not to run because it is too hot or too cold, or raining. Zane loves it too – check out some of his moves.
- Making a version of Chia Seed Pudding that everyone in my family seems to love! I was inspired by Melissa’s post about chia seed pudding and I made a couple of tweaks to make it a little smoother and sweeter, knowing it was the only way my kiddos would eat it! Dr. Oz says Chia seeds are even better for you than Flax Seeds, so I try to eat at least 1-2 tablespoons a day! I mean, if Dr. Oz says so … well…duh! Easy to do if you eat this pudding, or Melissa’s overnight vegan oats. Um, what an ugly picture, but trust me, this is great!
|Smooth Chocolate Chia Pudding|
- 4 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 1 cup Non-Dairy Milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk)
- 2 TBS Agave Nectar
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa (I used Raw Cacao Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Banana, frozen or fresh (Or 1 Whole Banana if you want it a little sweeter – play with it, I loved it with 1/2 banana)
- Blend in your Vitamix or any other powerful blender!
- If you don’t have a strong blender, you could put the chia seeds in a coffee grinder and then add them.
- Chill for at least an hour, then serve!
- This would be great topped with fresh raspberries or any other berry you love!
Tip: I always get extra bananas at the store and when they start to get really ripe, I break them in half and then put them in snack ziplock baggies. That way, I always have frozen bananas to put in recipes like this, and especially in smoothies.
- And last, have you noticed our new website?? We’d LOVE some feedback, as it is still in somewhat of a testing phase! There is a place with an envelope now where you can contact us, or feel free to comment on any of our posts! We are really excited about the new look… and excited to see where this HealthyMammas adventure takes us!! In the upcoming days, we’ll even be migrating our recipes to a RECIPAGE, where you can easily search recipes by ingredient, method of cooking, etc. Check it out! We only have a few recipes in there now – it will be fun to watch it grow! Many, many thanks to Lauren at Restored Designs – oh my gosh, she is a DREAM to work with if you need your website refreshed!
Look, we are famous! :) Well maybe one day…. a girl can dream!
I’m off to tend to my yummy 15 bean soup- mmmmm – since we are experiencing a cold front and all, I was motivated to make some soup! It was requested by my 14 year old who seems to be experiencing some back-to-school anxiety tummy issues. Also, I love that the fact that it makes an easy to re-heat dinner for a few days.
Live, love and laugh this week!