Anywho, not sure if you read my last post (seems forever ago!) but lately I’ve been trying to come up with some healthy lunch and snack ideas. I wanted to share a few I’ve discovered over the last couple of weeks. There are plenty of things I’ve tried lately and failed with but I will spare you those
One of my favorite new discoveries are veggie corndogs…my kids really don’t seem to notice that these aren’t the nitrate filled, carcinogenic ones they get at the occasional birthday party (not to mention they don’t have pig snouts or ears ground up in them!) We’ve tried a couple brands and they like them both. I just wrap these in foil after baking and they are still warm by lunchtime !
They are made by Yves Veggie Cuisine and Morningstar. They loved both brands, however my daughter said the Yves brand tasted “more like a real hotdog”.
Another great lunch idea is “Happy Bites” chicken bites. These are made with organic chicken, whole grain brown rice and organic potatoes and are gluten free !
And a lunch isn’t complete without a little something sweet
I like to pack these healthy chocolate chip cookies in my kids lunches…I usually make 12 cookies at a time and then freeze the rest of the dough as the chickpeas get a little hard after a couple days.
|Chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas|
- 1 cup Sucanat (organic brown sugar made of dehydrated cane juice…or you could use light brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup heart-healthy butter spread (I use Earth Balance or Smart Balance)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups spelt flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and butter together until smooth. Beat in egg whites and vanilla.
- Mix together flour, oats, baking soda and salt and gradually add to butter mixture.
- Stir in chickpeas and chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonful onto baking sheet and cook for 11 minutes.
- Enjoy !!!
Make it a healthy & happy day !!!!!