My husband came home the other day with a big carton of fresh raspberries and suggested that we have them the following morning for breakfast. I considered simply putting them on top of a bowl of Grape Nuts cereal…one of our family favorites. But, then I got to thinking…”what goes great with raspberries?” and the answer was CHOCOLATE…of course! So I decided to make Vegan Overnight Oats with the addition of Amazing Grass Amazing Meal chocolate powder. I discovered Vegan Overnight Oats (aka VOO) on the Oh She Glows website. This is a fabulous site! I love Angela’s recipes and her photos are fantastic…I visit it almost daily!
This was my second time to try Vegan Overnight Oats. The first time I made a plain version and topped it with a bit of almond butter and a drizzle of agave. I enjoyed them although I must admit that the texture took some getting used to. This time…with the addition of the Amazing Meal…both my husband and I LOVED them! Adding the Amazing Meal gave them a slightly different texture and a chocolate (but not too sweet) flavor. Plus just 1/2 scoop of Amazing Meal adds 5 grams of protein…not to mention all sorts of other crazy good stuff…antioxidants, phytonutrients, probiotics, fiber, and more!! Now that’s a great way to start your healthy day!
I made them very close to the original recipe…except that I added 2 teaspoons of cacao nibs to my mixture and only used 1/2 of a banana. Cacao is a naturally rich source of antioxidants and is an excellent source of fiber. It is also known to be one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium. I normally put a tablespoon of them in my morning bowl of oatmeal so I thought they might be a nice addition to my bowl of VOO…and I was right…they added a nice crunchy texture that I loved.
I topped ours with fresh raspberries, chopped almonds, unsweetened flaked coconut, and a drizzle of agave. Two things I love about VOO, other than the fact that they are yummy…they are super easy to make…and when you wake in the morning, breakfast is ready and waiting for you! Thank you Oh She Glows!! Here is a link to the original recipe…and here is the slightly different version that I made:
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional but sooo good for you! you won’t get the same consistency without them so use a little less almond milk if you are omitting them)
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Amazing Meal chocolate powder (you could also use chocolate Vega, or raw cacao (1tsp), or cocoa)
- 2 teaspoons cacao nibs (optional but add an awesome crunch factor and tons of antioxidants!)
Directions: Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well mixed. Add almond milk and mashed banana and whisk well to incorporate. Cover and place in fridge overnight. Before serving top with berries, chopped nuts, coconut, and agave to taste. YUMM! I might just have to make a batch of these tonight before I hit the sack!
Another delicious fresh berry concoction that we’ve enjoyed this week…a Blueberry Pear Crisp that we had last night for dessert. This healthy treat has a warm filling of fresh blueberries and pears…and it’s topped with a naturally sweetened oat crumble topping. It’s super easy, simple, healthy, and yummy! We all love the combination of blueberries and pears and this dessert gave us our fix. It’s even great cold…I’ve dipped into the leftovers more than a time or two today!
Of course, I could not leave yummy enough alone…I had to kick it up a notch or two with some Nada Moo vanilla non-dairy ice cream! It went from delish…to…I think I’m in heaven and I wish I had baked more than 4 servings!
I’m the only dairy free person in our casa…so, up until now, my sacred Nada Moo was kind of “Mamma’s little treat” Well folks…the cat is officially out of the bag…and the whole family loves it! Now I might just have to find myself a little super secret squirrel hiding spot in the freezer.
I hope you have a berry fabulous weekend!
~ HealthyMamma Melissa
|Blueberry Pear Crisp||
- 1 lb ripe pears (about 2 large) peeled and chopped
- 4 oz fresh bluberries
- 2 teaspoons spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon agave (or 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice (not from concentrate)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine all topping ingredients in bowl and mix with fork until well combined…set aside
- Place pears, blueberries, flour, agave, and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well to combine
- Transfer filling to a glass pie pan (or shallow baking dish) and sprinkle topping over filling
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until filling is bubbling throughout and topping is golden brown
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving