Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day…and has been ever since I can remember.
My kids have had this for a snack several times and they love it !! The trick for me is to change up the toppings each time so they don’t get bored Wheatberries are also great sprinkled in salads !
- 2 cups raw Buckwheat Groats, soaked in water for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight (I have made several batches over the last few weeks…some soaked for a couple hours and some overnight…couldn’t tell a difference!)
- 1.5 cups non-dairy Milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener (use Agave if you want it raw. I used maple syrup), or to taste
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Chopped fruit or dried fruit (banana, Berries, kiwi, apple, peaches, nectarines, raisins, mango, etc)
- Chopped nuts and or seeds (I used almonds)
- Toasted coconut, chocolate chips, etc
1. In a bowl, pour 2 cups of raw buckwheat groats and 4 cups of water. Soak for at least 1 hour or overnight. After soaking, rinse well in a strainer several times.
2. Place buckwheat groats in food processor or blender, along with the almond milk, chia seeds, and vanilla. Process until combined and slightly smooth. Now add in the sweetener and cinnamon to taste (I found 1/4 cup of sweetener was enough, but others might like a bit more or less than that).
3. Scoop into bowls or parfait glasses and add your desired toppings & mix-ins. Serve immediately cold. Place leftovers into fridge and enjoy for the next few days. Makes 4 cups at about 385 calories per cup (using 1/4 c maple syrup, but without toppings).
For my first bowl, I topped with blueberries, sliced strawberries and toasted almonds…YUM !!!
My next batch, I topped with homemade granola…it was delish too but I keep going back to the berries !!!!
By the way, don’t try heating this in the microwave…it turns into a big glob of hardness after about 30 seconds ! I haven’t tried heating on the stovetop yet…it is just so good chilled I hate to mess with it again
And for my all-time favorite breakfast…it’s actually a simple protein shake…I have this for breakfast about 4 days a week…usually on my way to the gym…it’s a great pre-work out drink…not too heavy but substantial enough to sustain you for a couple hours through your workout :
8-12 ounces water or coconut water
1 scoop Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer (Melissa and I like Vanilla Chai, Kimmy likes Chocolate)
1 scoop Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Powder (a silky smooth sprouted brown rice protein…way better for you than the whey protein powders out there…but that’s a whole other blog topic !!!)
(I like to trade the two above (Vega & Sun Warrior) out…I tend to get bored with the same flavors every morning!)
1 Tablespoon chia seeds (An amazing superfood that expands in your body to keep you hydrated and keep you feeling full longer. They are made up of 90% soluble fiber and have twice the protein of any other seed or grain and 5x the calcium of milk. They contain Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids…I could go on and on but need I say more ??)
1 Tablespoon Vitamineral Green (This has a VERY strong taste…I started out with 1 teaspoon and built up to 1 T. over a few months)
Vitamineral Green contains many of the foods that some consider “super foods”. It is very concentrated. In fact, a serving is a mere one tablespoon. You can easily mix it into a smoothie or other drink in order to gain all of the benefits of the 31 included ingredients.
The Vitamineral Green ingredients are thought to help improve overall health in a number of ways including:
- Bone health
- Assist with digestive regularity
- Cleanses organs, such as liver and kidneys
- Improved colon health
Vitamineral Green Nutrition Facts
The bulk of a serving of Vitamineral Green is protein, which makes up about 32% of the product. Below are the rest of the nutrition facts per serving.
- Protein: 4.37 grams
- Carbohydrates: 6.32 grams
- Fat: .80 grams
- Calories: Less than 25
If you are counting calories, Vitamineral Green is a great way to get in a lot of these super foods without eating a lot of extra calories.
Blend the above together in a Blender Bottle (if you don’t have one…go out and get one!)
Hope this gave you some ideas/inspiration for your next breakfast