I made two yummy recipes today that work perfectly for a light lunch and they also work great for a mid-day snack…a quinoa spin on traditional tabbouleh and a chickpea salad…both are vegan recipes.
The Vegan Chick Salad is similar to an egg salad…or maybe a tuna salad…but, without any egg…and without any tuna. Ha! Okay, maybe that’s a bad description. Put it this way…it’s a yummy, vegan, chickpea based salad that pairs great with your favorite whole grain crackers or makes a super tasty sandwich on sprouted or whole grain bread with lettuce and tomato. I think that it will also make a great filling for one of my favorite lunches…my romaine lettuce veggie boats…I’m planning on trying that out tomorrow!
I really love the flavors in this salad…the dill and the spicy mustard pair really well with the onion and chickpeas. It’s packed with flavor!
Vegan Chick Salad
(1) 15 ounce can Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
1/4 cup Onion (finely chopped)
1 stalk Celery (finely chopped)
1 tsp dried Dill Weed
1 tblsp lemon juice
1 tblsp Spicy Whole Grain or Dijon Mustard
Sea Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Drain and rinse chickpeas then mash them in a medium bowl with a potato masher…don’t worry about making it smooth…it should still be a little chunky. Mix in the onion, celery, dill, lemon juice, and spicy mustard until well combined. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
After my chick salad, I decided to make some tabbouleh. Tabbouleh is a traditional middle eastern dish typically made with bulgur and seasoned with lots of fragrant fresh parsley, lemon, mint, and olive oil. I kicked the protein factor up a notch by replacing the bulgur with quinoa. Paired with vine ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions…it makes for a wonderfully fresh and light side dish or appetizer. It’s delicious served with toasted pita wedges or hearty crackers.
Both of these recipes are fast and easy…which is a BIG plus in my book…especially when my hubby is away at the fire station and I’ve got both of my little people under my feet in the kitchen! I actually cooked my quinoa the night before…let it cool…and then kept it covered in the fridge until I was ready to chop all of my veggies and assemble the salad. This made for a quick recipe today when I had my hands full with both kiddos!
My hubby has actually been away working for a couple of days now and I miss him terribly! He just so happens to LOVE tabbouleh…so, I’m hoping that having a light, delicious lunch of quinoa tabbouleh, vegan chick salad, and a batch of Jenny’s fabulous hummus ready and waiting for him when he gets home tomorrow…will put a smile on his hard working face!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups organic, low sodium, veggie broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 2 tblsp fresh mint (finely chopped)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper – to taste (I use a generous amount of sea salt)
- Combine quinoa and veggie broth in medium saucepan
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed (15 to 20 min)
- Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature, fluff with fork
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients
- Add cooled quinoa and toss to combine
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving